Tips to Avoid Back Pain
One of the most frequently asked questions we get here at Denver Spine Institute is “How Do I Avoid Low Back Pain?” Dr. Kuruvila, who has helped many patients in and around Lakewood and Denver, CO get relief from their low back pain, answers this question in the new series “Ask the Doc.”
Back pain is among the most common ailments Americans experience. The good news is there are countless opportunities every day to protect (or hurt) your back. Here are a few tips to help avoid low back pain:
- Invest in a quality mattress. A firm mattress is the way to go.
- Sleep position matters. Avoid sleeping on your stomach, as it puts too much pressure on your joints. Instead, sleep either on your side or your back, using pillows for support.
- Stretching is your friend, as it can help prevent injury.
- Driving in your future? Be sure to stop every few hours to stand and stretch.
Consider your office set-up. The office furniture specialists at Workspace Solutions say that you should be seated at eye level to your screen, so that you don’t have to look too far down or too far up to do your work. And, you’ll want to get a chair that provides support for your middle and lower back.
- Footwear matters. Cushion and sole are the two variables. You want a shoe that can cushion and absorb shock. The good news is it’s becoming easier to find comfortable shoes that are equally as attractive.
- Lift smart. Keep the load close to the waist for as long as possible. The distance of the load from the spine at waist height can help to offset strain on the back. Keep the heaviest side of the load next to the body.
Back Pain Treatment in Denver, CO
These preventative measures can result in less pain and fewer doctors’ visits. Remember pain doesn’t have to be the norm. If your symptoms aren’t going away, it might be time to see a professional. Call Denver Spine Institute today to discuss back pain treatment options such as our non-surgical DRS Protocol treatment. Call us today at (303) 456-4466.