On November 20, 1976, the American Cancer Society celebrated its very first Great American Smokeout by having almost one million smokers give up smoking for a day. Each year, the Great American Smokeout successfully helps people kick their habit. Although it only lasts one day, the idea is that the Great American Smokeout can help provide people with a reason to quit smoking. Hopefully, November 20 will be a day that many people give up the habit for good.
Smoking can Cause Chronic Lower Back Pain
Besides respiratory issues, smoking can also cause many other conditions, including back pain! In 2001, the results of a study lasting more than 50 years were released, showing that there is a direct correlation between smoking and lower back pain. The study, examining over 1,300 physicians found that smoking, along with hypertension and coronary artery disease, can lead to a disease called “lumbar spondylosis,” or more commonly – degeneration of the spine.
Besides relieving back pain, there are many other health benefits involved in quitting. Some of these benefits include:
- A drop in heart rate and blood pressure within 20 minutes of not smoking
- Next, within 12 hours the levels of carbon monoxide in your blood drop to normal.
- From 2 weeks to 3 months after that last cigarette, circulation improves along with improved lung functions.
- From 1 – 9 months later, the pains of being short of breath decrease and the cilia in the lungs start getting back to normal.
- After 1 year of not smoking, the additional risk for heart disease is cut in half from that of an active smoker.
- 5 years later, the risk of mouth and throat cancer is cut in half.
If you would like to quit smoking, and haven’t been able to in the past, why not join in the Great American Smokeout? With millions of other smokers participating, there is not a better time to quit.
Non-Surgical Back Pain Relief in Lakewood, Colorado
If you suffer from chronic back pain, it is time to finally relieve it for good! Dr. Eipe Kuruvila, of the Denver Spine Institute in Lakewood, CO utilizes the DRS Protocol – a highly effective back pain treatment option that has been proven to effectively and safely relieve back pain without harmful surgeries, injections or painkillers. For more information on how you can successfully relieve your chronic back pain, contact the professionals at the Denver Spine Institute today at (303) 456-4466.